The analysis on the influence of month of birth on the development of multiple sclerosis in terms of comorbidity
Keywords:month of birth, multiple sclerosis, comorbidity
Background. The interest is caused by reports about the month of birth (MB) impact on the development and course of multiple sclerosis (MS). The purpose is to analyze the anamnestic data of MS patients, depending on the MB, season and month of MS onset; to clarify the relationship between MB and the development of MS in terms of comorbidity. Materials and methods. 216 MS patients with various forms of course were examined and were divided into 2 groups: without concomitant diseases (n = 109) and with concomitant diseases (n = 107). The distribution of patients is analyzed depending on MB, the season and month of MS onset. Results. It was found that most often MS patients were born in May — 56 (25.9 %) persons in the general group, 31 (29.0 %) — in the group with concomitant diseases and 25 (23.0 %) — in the group without concomitant diseases. As for the month of MS onset: most often, it was April (14.7 % of the patients of the group without concomitant diseases and 21.5 % of the group with concomitant diseases). Conclusions. The months prognostically unfavorable for the birth of MS patients are May and April, and in terms of the incidence of MS debut — April.
Комаров Ф.И. Хронобиология и хрономедицина / Ф.И. Комаров, С.И. Рапопорт. — М.: Триада-Х, 2000. — 488 с.
Хронобіологічний підхід до застосування лазеропунктури у хворих з хронічним порушенням мозкового кровообігу / Мачерет Є.Л., Чуприна Г.М., Коркушко О.О., Кулемзіна Т.В. // Буковинський медичний вісник. — 2002. — Т. 6, № 3–4. — С. 60-62.
Cendrowski W. Distortion of birth distribution in multiple sclerosis: relation to season, gender and residential province / W. Cendrowski // Med. and Biolog. Sciences. — 2012. — Vol. 26, № 3. — Р. 39-44.
Fiddes B. Confounding in association studies: month of birth and multiple sclerosis [Електронний ресурс] / B. Fiddes, J. Wason, S. Sawcer // J. Neurol. — 2014. — Vol. 261, № 10. — Р. 1851-1856. — Режим доступу: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4192561/.
Higher relative risk for multiple sclerosis in a рediatric and adolescent diabetic population: analysis from DPV database / S. Bechtold, A. Blaschek, K. Raile [et al.] // Diabetes care. — 2014. — Vol. 37, № 1. — Р. 96-101.
Multiple sclerosis in South America: month of birth in different latitudes does not seem to interfere with the prevalence or progression of the disease [Електронний ресурс] / Y. Dadalti Fragoso, T. Adoni, S.M. Garcia de Almeida [et al.] //Arq. Neuropsiquiatr. — 2013. — Vol. 71, № 9-A. — Р. 573-579. — Режим доступу: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/anp/v71n9A/0004-282X-anp-71-09-573.pdf.
Season of birth as a risk factor for multiple sclerosis in Brazil / J. Becker, D. Callegaro, M.A. Lana-Peixoto [et al.] // Journ. of the Neurol. Sci. — 2013. — Vol. 329. — Р. 6-10.
Seasonality of birth of patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis / Y. Berkun, H. Lewy, S. Padeh [et al.] // Clin. and Experiment. Rheumatol. — 2014. — Р. 2-5.
Seasonality of month of birth of patients with Graves’ and Hashimoto’s diseases differ from that in the general population / G.E. Krassas, K. Tziomalos, N. Pontikides [et al.] // Eur. Journ. Endocrinol. — 2007. — Vol. 156. — Р. 631-636.
Summary of evidence-based guideline: complementary and alternative medicine in multiple sclerosis [Електронний ресурс] / V. Yadav, C. Bever, J. Bowen [et al.] // Neurology. — 2014. — 82 (12). — Р. 1083-1092. — Режим доступу: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962995/pdf/ NEUROLOGY545665.pdf.
Copyright (c) 2018 Health of Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.